Sunday, June 30, 2013

June frugal accomplishments

Another full month of seeking out frugal alternatives.  Just tonight, my husband and I took a bike ride and ended up at the baseball field to collect Coke lids.  We joked about how exciting our Saturday nights have become; honestly though, we are very content and that is all that matters! From Coke rewards, we netted a 12 pack and four 20 oz sodas this month.

On a bike ride, I found a nylon pop-up toy storage shaped like a frog.  It was lying along the road.  Since my cousin's son has a bedroom decorated in frogs, I picked it up for him.

We went to Ikea to pick up a few odds and ends, as I am trying to freshen up my laundry area in  the basement.  I was able to purchase everything with a gift card I received when I made Ikea aware of an error in their pricing.  They refunded me for the error plus gave me an additional $25 for my patience and making them aware of the problem.

We went to a Phillies game and were seated in the Hall of Fame section.  The night also included a parking pass for the closest lot.  My husband received the tix from a business vendor, and has become an annual tradition.

At my last visit to Ace Hardware, I received a scratch off card good for $3-$20 off of my next purchase.  Catch:  the amount would not be revealed until the time of checkout.  Since I assumed that most cards would be worth $3 off, I chose a new grill brush for slightly over $3.  It turned out to be around $1 out of pocket.

We went to Chick Fil A using coupons for free sandwiches from completing surveys found on receipts and free milkshakes from our calendar coupons.

When my kids brought home their binders at the end of the school year, we stashed them away to get $2 credit on each one toward new binders.  We'll wait for the back to school sales to do so.  (These binders have been heavily used for two years.)  Thanks to Monica for introducing me to Staples binder recycling program.

I bought some Register Rewards deals at Walgreens to get some inexpensive dental supplies.  As a bonus, at checkout, I got catalina coupons for 20% off any item at Sports Authority.  Since I paid in several transactions, I received 3 coupons.  Just in time for buying new soccer cleats, running shoes, and Under Armor warm up jacket for my son's birthday. 

My son needed some more tank tops for our hot summers.  So I got out the seam ripper and took off the sleeves of three t-shirts that he selected.  Easy-peasy, and the fabric doesn't ravel.

Both of my kids received gift cards from Rita's water ice as rewards.  For my son, it was a Random Act of Kiondness recognition from our county prosecutor's office.  My daughter won hers as a result of bringing her practice record to orchestra every week.  We went to Rita's on my son's birthday to get a treat.  Both my husband and I were able to get free water ice with B1G1 coupons from Entertainment book.  And the kids only used $3 from each of their cards because gelatis were on special for the first day of summer.

I found an almost new set of Oneida silverware ($3), a Rockport brand pair of slippers for my husband ($4), and a very pretty scarf ($1) from rue21 at a yard sale in my neighorhood.  I probably would have bought more if I had more $ with me, but I was out on a walk and came upon it. 

With a $5 coupon in hand, I headed to Kohl's to look for a good deal.  (For the record, none of these qualify as needs!)  Combining clearance sales, the $ off coupon, and % off coupon, I bagged a purse, Cuddle Dud shirt, and pajama shirt for $8.40.

My kids and I helped a friend to pack her belongings for a move.  She sent us home with a shirt, a few books, and a couple of plastic storage baskets.

Hanna's teacher retired at the end of this school year. As a result, she was doing a lot of clearing out of her classroom.  Hanna came home with books, workbooks, art supplies, and more.

As is our tradition, we go through the school supplies at the end of the school year, deciding what to keep and what needs to go.  Book socks, lunch boxes, and backpacks go into the washer.  Since we chose Jansport backpacks, they have used the same backpacks every year.  Jansport guarantees their packs to last a lifetime!  In fact, my son's zipper broke a couple years ago, so we sent it to them and they repaired it.

At our library, we always comb through the used book sale for additions to our reading pile.  On the day that we signed up for the summer reading program, we found a couple titles.  Additionally, we found an American Girl cookbook in the discard pile at the local EIRC (educational information resource center) while we were there using their laminators and Ellison machines. 

Target had a mobile coupon for $1 off produce.  Since they had peaches and plums 2/$1 that week, I was able to get 2 of each free on 2 separate visits.  Also, I purchased 5 boxes of cereal combining sales, Target coupons, mfr coupons, and a gift card offer.  Each box averaged  .90.  (However, I would not recommend visiting Target twice in one week as a means to being frugal!)

We took my son out for pizza on his birthday using a Groupon.  It was the best pizza I've ever had!  And the meal was $20.  I'm glad we bought two Groupons for Slice.

As part of my son's orthodontist program, we bought a professional electric toothbrush.  There was an online $20 rebate available from Oral-B, but it required a store receipt.  I got a statement from the ortho, unsure about whether it would work.  Shortly after, I received a pre-paid Citi card for $20!

Did you know that Bed Bath & Beyond will accept expired coupons.  I bought two items recently, used two coupons (one of which was expired), and saved at least 25% on each item.

Our local Chick Fil A was asking for captions to a funny cow picture they had posted on their Facebook page.  Both my son and I commented.  Instead of picking one winner, they gave free meals to ALL who had commented.  It was definately worth the minute or two to think of a clever title (I love word play!) and post the comment.

A friend from church gave us some zucchini, so we grilled it for dinner. 

I plan to continue to keep a list of my cost saving measures, this month on my phone so that I can write them down immediately.  If you'd like to read more of these lists, hop over to Carrie's blog.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Angie! That's great about the IKEA credit. I just used some expired BB&B coupons, too--nice!

    Glad you've been keeping track. I have a little purse-sized notebook I jot details in--that way it's with me pretty much all the time, and then I just type everything up when I'm ready. I had been doing monthly posts, but was filling a page (or 2) in a couple weeks, so that's become the new norm. We're currently on vacation, so my frugal activities have been much fewer.

    ReplyDelete